a little too jolley

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 23 July 2014

The Parable of the 14 Minute Mile

Posted on 18:23 by amla

I remember in elementary school when we would participate in the "President's Fitness Challenge" at school. You know the drill- push ups, pull ups, sit ups, sit and reach and the dreaded one mile run. I don't think in all those years I ever ran below a 10 minute mile, even in the best shape of my life.


So as I've started this journey to live a healthier lifestyle, I decided to run the same types of tests monthly. Instead of being stuck in the diet drama by continuing to weigh myself all the time, I decided to look for "non-scale victories." And a faster mile run would be a non-scale victory to me!

But I had to start somewhere. I kept putting it off, but one day I decided to do it. I was at the gym next to my husband running my heart out and gasping for breath. Every inch of my body hurt and was shaky. My husband lapped me. I kept going. I was out of breath but I kept running. And at 14:06 the treadmill showed the one mile mark.

I spent the rest of the evening being sad about it, I was upset I ran such a crappy mile. Couldn't I have pushed myself harder? I should've ran until I passed out. Or not gone so long without running a mile. The negative thoughts kept coming and coming. 

The next morning I realized something, I was PROUD of myself. I ran a whole mile as fast as I could! My leg muscles were sore where I didn't know there were muscles. What a great thing! I had pushed my body hard. And best of all, I ran this mile as a starting point. A beginning of a journey to a faster mile. 

I realized that sometimes the journey is hard. But it has to start somewhere. There has to be a time where you say, "I know I"m not where I want to be, but at least I'm on the right path." Start your journey today. A 14 minute mile is better than never running one. 


 photo jolley-sig_zps8e3a9f4d.jpg
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in healthyliving | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

Categories

  • blogging
  • disney
  • faith
  • haircare
  • healthyliving
  • marriage
  • selflove

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2014 (118)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ▼  July (11)
      • He Believes in Us
      • Spending A Month With Isaiah
      • love story part twenty three: the reception
      • 50 Shades of... Tolerance?
      • The Parable of the 14 Minute Mile
      • The Book of Mormon
      • 5 Reasons to Try Yoga
      • The Beauty Grew All Around
      • Leave A Love Note Every Day For a Week
      • 3 Books to Help You Start Living Healthier
      • 4 Things First Timers Should Know About Their Trip...
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (22)
    • ►  March (19)
    • ►  February (21)
    • ►  January (24)
  • ►  2013 (115)
    • ►  December (25)
    • ►  November (28)
    • ►  October (30)
    • ►  September (25)
    • ►  August (7)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

amla
View my complete profile